PortSAP, Purchasing, Ray Hornbrook, SAP, SO10, Standard Text
The purpose of this post is to show how to use SAP’s standard text functionality to create a standard text message that can be used in multiple text fields in SAP. The primary purpose of this functionality is to keep the standard text messages the same and to keep end users from having to type the text description every time it is required.
In this post we will focus on using the standard text functionality with purchase info records and purchase orders.
Scenarios: Purchasing wants to create a standard text message to be printed on some purchase orders based on material / vendor combination. Using transaction SO10 you can create a “Standard Text” that can be inserted in the “Purchase Order text” field of the purchasing information record.
The following steps in this post will show you how to use the Standard Text in the Purchase Order text field of the info record but the functionality can be used with most text fields.
While my goal is that someone can use the following information to successfully setup and use a Standard Text this is not a step by step instruction manual and will require a good understanding of SAP purchasing text fields.
As a note: This post assumes that the purchase order text already prints on the purchase order document.
- Create Standard Text message – Tcode SO10
1.1. Standard Text: Request screen
- Enter Text Name – Recommend starting with “Z” and making name relevant to text description
- The other two fields should default if not enter ST & EN
- Hit Create Icon
1.2. Change Standard text: Screen
- Enter text message
- Hit Save Icon
2. Information Record Insert Standard Text – Create or Change ME11 / ME12
This step assumes the user knows how to get to the Info Record Text Overview screen. The document also assumes the user knows how the Purchase Order text is used via SAP. If not please contact someone who does.
2.1. Change Info Record: Text Overview Screen
- Double Click on first line of Purchase Order Text. Goal being to Change Header text full screen mode.
2.2. Change Purchase Order Text Screen
- Follow menu path: Include > Text > Standard…
2.3. Insert Text pop up box
- Enter Text name created in step 1 in this document.
- There are two options for inserting the text. If you select the Expand Immediately field the actual text message will be inserted into the PO text field. If this field is not selected a link to the text name will be inserted into the PO text field.
- Hit enter.
- Save changes & info record.
2.4. If Expand Immediately field is not selected a “link” will be inserted.
Pros and Cons of Not expanding text
- Pro – Any change made to standard text will be picked up in info record and purchase order. (ZTEST in this example).
- Con – Text message will not be visible in info record and purchase order.
2.5. If Expand Immediately field is selected the actual text is inserted.
Pros and Cons of expanding text
- Pro – If text is expanded it can be viewed in info record and on purchase order.
- Con – Any changes made to standard text (ZTEST in this example) will not be reflected in info record. Each info record / PO will need to be entered and message changed.
Both the expanded and non-expanded text will print in the purchase order message.
The primary benefit of using the Standard Text is that you can make changes in one transaction (So10) that is copied through to any text field the Standard Text is inserted into. Especially true if not expended…
As a Note, the Standard Text created with transaction So10 can be manually inserted into any Purchase Order text field. This is done by double clicking on text box so you are taken to Change Header text full screen mode. And then follow step 2.2 through 2.5.
If you have question on this or any other PortSAP Consulting blog please feel free to contact us at Blog@PortSAP.com. Or if you are looking for Top Quality SAP Consultants please feel free to contact us.
The author, Ray Hornbrook, has over 16 years of SAP functional and technical experience. Ray started his career in SAP as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for a SAP implementation in 1998 and is now a senior level SAP Consultant. Since Ray has worked both sides of SAP, business end user and IT professional, he is able to communicate effectively with both IT and Business team members. Having a background as an SAP business end user has helped Ray greatly in his consulting career to better communicate with the business members of the team. As well as helping bridge gaps in communication between the IT and Business team members.
To find out more about Ray Hornbrook please check out his LinkedIn profile by clicking HERE.
End of document – www.portsap.com
Neither PortSAP Consulting nor the author of this Blog is associated with SAP AG or with any of its subsidiary or alliance company. Trademarks used in our website are registered trademarks of respective companies and neither PortSAP Consulting nor the author of this Blog is associated affiliated with these companies.
You must be logged in to post a comment.